Re: how to examine data with compiler optimization option set?

Joel Brobecker wrote:
The documentation is slightly outdated, as stabs has hardly any support
for debugging optimized code.  Better stick with DWARF2/3.

Isn't that possible at all? (I am currently evaluating the debugging
facilities
of gdb)
No it is not possible.

Note that the debugger behavior is usually expected considering the debugging information generated by the compiler. I heard there is some effort to improve the debugging information, but generally speaking, debugging optimized code right now can be tricky.

I don't think there is any possibility whatsoever of somehow generating location codes for the variables in the example.

Those values are simply not kept anywhere.  GCC will replace
them all with the constant, "3".