Re: how to examine data with compiler optimization option set?

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>, Robert Dewar <dewar@adacore.com>,         "jreiver@free.fr" <jreiver@free.fr>,         "gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>
From: fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler)
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:04:24 -0400

You might be surprised.  Some RH engineers are working along these
lines.  Being able to debug (<=> probe/trace) optimized code is
becoming more and more important, and gcc is slowly getting into the
mood to help.

I'll applaud this mood. When I started using GCC (it was v1.x back then), being able to efficiently debug optimized code was one of GCC's most attractive features. When that feature was lost in GCC 3.x, I was quite shocked. I'd love to have that back again.

Well you always had local variables disappearing in earlier versions but enough worked so you could debug, in particular parameters were always available and reliable.