Re: Kernel symbol table

Shrinand Javadekar wrote:
Hi All,

I have gdb attached to a running kernel. Even if the kernel was not
built with symbols, there should be some symbols exported by the
kernel right? The ones exported by using EXPORT_SYMBOL; e.g. sys_open,
sys_close, etc.

I believe these symbols are kept in the kernel symbol table. The
question I have is, how do I access this symbol table?

Also, does the kernel do anything special about where to keep (at what
address) this symbol table?

Thanks in advance.
-Shri

Shri,

If you build the kernel, the symbol file will be called "vmlinux"
in the top level of your build tree.  This is an elf file that gdb
can read.

You do not want the compressed file called "vmlinuz" (note 'z').
That file is not elf.

Cheers,
Michael