GDB 6.8 - license terms

Hi,

i would appreciate your help with the following issue:

The file "README" in the GDB 6.8 root contains the following phrase (line 42):
"...See the file COPYING or
COPYING.LIB in the various directories, for a description of the
GNU General Public License terms under which you can copy the files..."

Now we detected in the source code GPL v2 and GPL v3 license terms
(e.g in the root, \gdb-6.8\COPYING and \gdb-6.8\COPYING3)

But some subfolders only contain the GPL v2 license
(e.g. \gdb-6.8\bfd\COPYING, \gdb-6.8\gdb\COPYING, ... )

Because of the incompatibility between GPLv3 and GPLv2,
we are not sure if we can consider the whole component as licensed under the terms of GPL v3.

Can you please help me with this issue?

THX in advance

With best regards,
Patrick Volkmann

Siemens AG
Industry Sector
Industry Automation Division
Advanced Technologies & Standards
I IA&DT ATS 13
Gleiwitzer Str. 555
90475 Nuremberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (911) 895-3821
mailto:patrick.volkmann@siemens.com

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gerhard Cromme; Managing Board: Peter Loescher, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Wolfgang Dehen, Heinrich Hiesinger, Joe Kaeser, Barbara Kux, Hermann Requardt, Siegfried Russwurm, Peter Y. Solmssen; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322