Re: Experiences building and using gdb 6.8 on Solaris

On 04/29/09 14:02, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
I assumed you'd be using a "normal" CVS build (with "-g -O2"), not a
stripped binary.

Of course, What was I thinking? Output from unstripped binary attached.

I am not sure there *are* any Solaris maintainers.

From my perspective, this is a regression from Solaris 9, where gdb (6.0) didn't have this problem with libXau. gdb 6.0 and later do, probably as of Solaris 10. I really meant Solaris libXau maintainers, if there are any. They have accepted it as a bug, so I suppose they will (eventually) fix libXau. As you suggest, they probably won't address gdb since unsurprisingly they mostly use dbx. Personally I find gdb much easier to use and it does everything I need it to. Having said that, they do ship gdb with Solaris Nevada, in /usr/bin no less. To get dbx is an extra download...

It is quite
conceivable that upgrading from snv103 to snv112 might fix this problem,
so does anyone at gdb want to work on this before I do so?

I'd say you should get the "full" stack trace first. This may give enough clues to someone. If you want to upgrade your machine to snv112, it would probably be wise to save the offending libXau first (just in case someone desires to look at the problem later).

OK, no problem; I will save the offending libXau somewhere. It obviously won't be (isn't) fixed in snv112 but I'll save this one as baseline anyway.

Cheers -- Frank