How does remote debugging work on image with symbol stripped?

I understand that with GDB, one can remote debug a program with symbol
stripped, as long as the host machine has an unstripped image.  My question
is how does it work and if it can be duplicate (easily) on other debugging
system as well.  I assume somehow stripping the debugging info does not
impact the code and data section, and wonder if images generated from
multiple elf files can go thru the same process.

Thanks,

KK