Building gdb from cvs

Using the supplied SPARC version of gdb, printing of strings works

/usr/bin/gdb.6.3.50 --version
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-11-23-cvs
3	char *c = "ABCD";
(gdb) n
4	return 0;
(gdb) p c
$1 = 0x105a0 "ABCD"

But, in order to debug on SPARC, I am using a locally patched version
and printing of strings doesn't seem to work any more

/usr/local/bin/gdb --version
GNU gdb (GDB) 6.8.50.20090427-cvs
3	char *c = "ABCD";
(gdb) n
4	return 0;
(gdb) p c
$1 = 0x105a0 "

This must be an artifact of the way this was built (it uses gnu libiconv,
for example), or some kind of regression (unlikely).

Since it was built with a motley collection of Solaris and gnu libraries,
this is probably unreproducible. Can you guess as to which libraries you
think might be causing this so I can relink with the gnu ones instead?

Thanks