Re: Is bitstring support still useful?

On 17 Jul 2009, at 16:41, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

I'd still like to know whether the existing support is used by any
language, though.  If not, we can clean it up aggressively and remove
the stabs reader support for bitstrings.  I suspect that it is mostly
copied and pasted from the removed Chill support.

The Free Pascal Compiler uses it for bitpacked arrays (arrays whose element sizes are not multiples of 8 bits), because there does not appear to be any other way to represent them in stabs. I've also tried @P, but that seemed to be ignored by gdb (and there is no reason why it would mean bitpacked rather than e.g. bytepacked).

Bitpacked arrays are not used very much though, so if you can suggest another way to generate Stabs debug information for them, that's fine too (i.e., backwards compatibility is not that important in our case).

Jonas