Re: gdb.git mirror is broken

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Jim Meyering wrote:

> perhaps we should think ahead to the day if/when everyone
> is using git and not CVS.

The day when each project can choose its version control system, and
change between systems, independently and without needing to change in
sync with other projects, sounds much better to me.  That there is any
link at all between the development of GDB and Cygwin, for example, is a
defect in the present system that should be fixed by the move of either
project to another system.

> If I need to make a change in gnulib, I don't change
> coreutils/gnulib/, but rather make the change in a separate

First and foremost, as I said in
<http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-05/msg00117.html>, version control
should make common tasks easy.  That means a single command in a binutils
checkout to commit both a BFD change and the testcases in the ld
testsuite, for example.  What things look like underneath is less
important, and the exact spelling of the command is less important - but
if it doesn't look like a single repository for common use cases like
that, something is seriously wrong.

Version control should also make mistakes hard - it should be hard to
check in an incomplete patch by accident, or think you have checked in a
change when it has not gone where it should, for example, and extremely
hard to break the repository.

(Advocates of any change also still need to work out the detailed designs,
as I noted in <http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-05/msg00213.html>.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com