Re: gdb.git hiccup

Joel Brobecker wrote:
> I just did a quick comparison between the files listed in CVS and
> the ones we have in the git mirror, and found the following files
> to be missing from gdb.git:
>
>         gdb/windows-termcap.c
>         bfd/cpu-rx.c
>         bfd/elf32-rx.c
>         include/opcode/rx.h
>         include/elf/rx.h
>         opcodes/rx-decode.opc
>         opcodes/rx-dis.c
>
> This is in addition to the cpu subdirectory. Regarding that subdirectory
> and how to import it in git, I am personnally completely fine with
> importing it as is in one new commit on top of the current conversion.
> I can't remember when the last time was when I actually looked inside
> that subdirectory, so I don't imagine that having full history for that
> tiny part of the GDB sources is going to be critical.
>
> Thanks again for helping us use git.

Those files are missing, but many more appear to lack changes.
I've just noticed that the version of cvsps (used by git-cvsimport
for incremental updates to the mirrored-to git repos) installed on
the server is only 2.1, while there's a 2.2b1 that has worked
reliably on other sites (savannah.gnu.org and et.redhat.com)
over numerous repositories.

I'll build the newer version and make my cvs-to-git process use it.
It can only help.  Though it can't repair the current holes in gdb.git.
Regarding that, if one of you gdb developers who use gdb.git can send
me git format-patch output that makes a clone from gdb.git identical to
a just-checked-out-from-cvs gdb directory, I will push it to both the
staging and public repositories.

That, in combination with the newer cvsps (and a simple safety net that
I still have to add to ensure the heads of cvs and git repos remain in sync)
should be enough to make this usable and keep it that way.