Re: Core file shows stack correctly with GDB 5.3.9 but not with GDB 6.8

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 03:46:47PM +0200, Avi Gozlan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Usually, when we open core files using GDB 6.8 the stack shows correctly (while GDB 5.3.9 shows '?? ()' for several frames).
>
> However, from time to time we encounter core files for which the opposite is correct. Namely, we can see the stack correctly with 5.3.9 but not with 6.8.

What platform?  Also, I'm not aware of any GDB release marked "5.3.9".
If there was one, it would be very obsolete; GDB 5.3 was released in
December 2002.

> This phenomenon happens on the same machine and executables are compiled using the same environment. We have no idea regarding the cause of this weird behavior.
>
> I would be thankful if you could shed some light on this issue.

There's not enough information to make any useful statement.  In
general, don't focus on things that work on an older release - instead
focus on things that don't work on the new release.  In other words
the question is "why can't GDB 6.8 handle this core file".

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery