Re: How does one get static procedure names?

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:56:46AM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> Sorry.   When you do a "bt" using gdb, you see the function
> names, whether they be "static" or have global (external)
> linkage.  The function backtrace_symbols(), on the other
> hand, doe *not* print static scope function names.  Even if
> it takes some work, I'd like to "fix" the constraint.  However,
> I wasn't able to decipher the gdb source well enough to figure
> out how it accomplished this feat.  So, is there some place
> in the GDB source where I ought to be looking?

You can't readily do so.  backtrace_symbols is using the dynamic
symbol table, which is loaded into memory.  Local symbols are not
added to the dynamic symbol table.

GDB reads both the local symbol table and the DWARF/stabs debug
information.

You'd need an additional symbol table reader which read them off disk
instead of out of RAM.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery