Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

On 08 Jan 2010, at 14:12, Joel Brobecker wrote:

I don't know why CVS is so slow.  Whether it is CPU bound on the
sourceware machine, or the bandwidth at the hosting site is at
capacity .. who knows?  I'm not even sure how to find out.  But would
SVN solve any of the problem relating to performance?

My observations on SVN is that it is a huge I/O hog. I don't know what it's doing, and how it encodes it's meta data, but you definitely feel it when your home directory is not on a local hard drive.

That's indeed true. As far as I know, it's due to svn creating lock files (or lock attributes) in every sub directory of the current working directory when performing any operation that might modify anything (unless you perform a non-recursive operation, but those are rare). I guess the reason is that svn allows treating every subdirectory as a separate "repository" should you wish to do so, so e.g. a commit in gdb/intl could be executed in parallel with an update gdb/bfd, since both would be locked separately. The downside is obviously that updating gdb requires locking gdb/ and also all of its subdirectories.

Afaik, in case of git the entire repository is atomic and hence it doesn't have to lock/unlock all the subdirectories every time.

Jonas