Re: Getting pissed off by gdb. Please help with stepping in.

On Thursday 18 March 2010 20:53:09 Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:38:18 +0200
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> >
> > > From: Pedro Alves <pedro@codesourcery.com>
> > > Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:55:39 +0000
> > > Cc: dje@google.com,
> > >  temp@sourceboost.com
> > >
> > > Users often find this behaviour unexpected (I've often
> > > wished GDB would behave like what the OP is suggesting too).
> >
> > Then why don't we change the behavior to match what users expect?
>
> Because different users expect different things.  I for example would
> be somewhat annoyed by having to issue an extra "step".

I am regularly annoyed by stepping "unexpectedly" too far. And that's
much harder to undo then doing an extra "step".

> And the argument that this is what people that are familliar with Visual
> Studio are used to is pretty weak.  GDB users are used the GDB behaviour!

That can't be true as a universal proposition as I know at least one
counterexample ;-)

I am personally much more of a GDB than a VS user but I live in an
environment where people switch operating systems and compilers
on a regular base, sometimes by the hour.

Being able to transfer skills and "finger memory" between these worlds
without having to completely reboot the brain is a big time saver. Not to
mention that it one has a pretty tough standing when trying to explain
to a user why his IDE behaves completely different when he "only" switched
compilers.

Anyway, it pretty much looks like there are quite a few people not really
opposed to having the "other" behaviour. So maybe we could switch
nevertheless -- or maybe having Yet Another Flag would be a solution
that makes all of us happy?

Andre'