RE: Multiexec MI broke MI compatibility?

>> 797,748 10-list-thread-groups i1
>> 797,748 10^error,msg="invalid group id 'i1'"  <-------------- when we ask for the same is, GDB rejects it
>> 797,749 (gdb)
>
> This sounds like a bug indeed. Can you file an issue?

I'm hoping Frederic can do that since he knows the proper details.

> > If this change needs to be done, I'm gonna have to have code like
> >       if (event.equals("thread-group-created") || event.equals("thread-group-started")
> > in a couple of places.
> >
> > What is the change meant to improve?

> The meaning? thread-group is not actually created when this notification is emitted,
> it's created/added much earlier.

Well, not really the meaning, which I now understand, but more: what is the value
in making this change?

> >> No idea.
> >
> > My guess is that there isn't.  At least, there is none in eclipse.
> > But it's planned, if we can find time for it.
>
> Oh, I'm confused. If you don't support multi-exec, then why are you using thread-group-created
> notification at all? It's meant for multi-exec support only.

I don't think I could have been more obscure if I tried.  Sorry.

DSF-GDB support multi-process (single address space targets) but not multi-exec (e.g., Linux target).
And we use -thread-group-created et al., whenever we use GDB 7.0 because we have prepared for
the more general case of multi-exec, even on Linux, even if we currently don't fully support it.

I hope that is a little less cryptic.

Marc