Re: gdbserver 7.1 unable to read registers

Pedro Alves wrote:
> On Friday 24 September 2010 13:58:08, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
>
> > Usually, gdbserver will inform GDB via the remote protocol about the
> > set of registers supported on the platform, and GDB is supposed to
> > automatically take that information into account.
> >
> > However, this requires that GDB is built to include XML support to
> > parse this configuration information; if the expat libraries were
> > not available when you built GDB, the configure process might have
> > decided to build GDB without XML support instead ...
> > Can you try rebuilding with the --with-expat configure option?
> > This will cause the build to fail if XML support is not available.
>
> Note that GDB issues a warning at connect time in that case:
>
>  "Can not parse XML target description; XML support was disabled at compile time"

As we have more and more platforms where gdbserver simply will not work
correctly without XML support, maybe we should make --with-expat the
default mode at some point in time?   Users would still be able to
build with --without-expat if they really want to ...

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE