Re: Work on the SIS ERC32 Emulator

On 04/20/2011 11:19 AM, Joel Brobecker wrote:
Ok.  I though the policy was different for the sims, since they are full
of non-FSF copyrighted code.  All right, I have to talk with my Employer
about this.  I am pretty familiar with the copyright assignment process
with the FSF, but my Employer is not and it may take some time.
We failed to follow the normal guidelines, and I've heard the reason
for that in some of the cases, but that was a long time ago. IMO,
that was a mistake, for several reasons I don't want to detail here.
However, as you have noticed, because the FSF is not the copyright
holder of some of the files, we couldn't update the license to GPLv3.

Are they all copyrighted Jiri Gaisler and ESA?

Did Jiri have an FSF assignment on file when at ESA?

Does ESA have an assignment on file?

If the ESA assignment is in place, then it should just be
a matter of asking Jiri. Gaisler/Aeroflex has an assignment
on file now.

I will email Jiri and see what he remembers.  Joel B., do
you have access to the assignment list at FSF?  Or do
we need to ask them?
Do you plan to upgrade the files under 'sis' from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+?
I only see 2 "sis" files: erc32/sis.[hc]. Are these the files you
are referring to? I don't know how "easy" it's going to be doing
that upgrade, since the FSF does not hold the copyright to these
files. I don't think we can upgrade the license on our own, can we?

-- Joel Sherrill, Ph.D. Director of Research& Development joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com On-Line Applications Research Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS Huntsville AL 35805 Support Available (256) 722-9985