bogus extra code in gdbserver detach command support?

Hi.

Under what circumstances does this code in server.c actually do something?

	      /* If we are attached, then we can exit.  Otherwise, we
		 need to hang around doing nothing, until the child is
		 gone.  */
	      for_each_inferior (&all_processes,
				 join_inferiors_callback);

This is for the 'D' packet.
AIUI, this code will already have emptied all_processes:

      if (detach_inferior (pid) != 0)
	write_enn (own_buf);

Or can multiprocess debugging be used without the extended remote protocol?