Re: symlink old tarball name to new one

Matt, All,

On Sunday 11 September 2011 01:00:36 Matt Rice wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Yann E. MORIN
> <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
>
> > As 'ratmice' said on IRC, this has a drawback for those tools that do check
> > the tarballs using md5 (or sha1...). Using signatures is not an issue.
> > But not all tools do use md5 (or even sigs).
>
> FWIW, I'm not sure that this is much of an argument for tools that do
> check using sums,
> they have only one option... They must change their build script
> regardless of the symlink.
>
> further, the gdb ftp site doesn't host sums, so theres really nothing
> to compare it to otherwise.  (unless people are in the habit of
> checking the gpg sig, making a sum and then checking that in which
> case, they are in the 'they must change their script dept.).

Yes, indeed. For those checking against embedded sums, there are few
options, but to fix their scripts. But for those that do not use sums
(and might or not check the sigs), providing the symlinks is a life-saver
for all the already-released versions of those tools.

Fact is, even if those projects already have fixes (crosstool-NG has,
buildroot should follow suite when I'm done pushing the change), it might
not be an option for users to upgrade for various reasons, especially
those in corporate environments where versions are written in stone, and an
upgrade requires much more than simply an upstream version string change.

> anyhow, its something to consider and leaves a bitter taste in my
> mouth, but i'm not objecting, it probably fixes more issues than it
> causes.

Yes, it does fixes more than it breaks. Those using sums are already and
irremediably broken. Those not using sums would be fixed with the symlinks.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.