Re: GIT and CVS

On 14 Oct 2011, at 14:53, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:22:53 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
(I've tried git stash, but it didn't seem to support my
development style, at least "unstashing" didn't "just work" when I did
a git fetch in between).

I do so sometimes myself, it works.

I believe some older git versions refused to "git stash pop" if there was any conflict between the stashed changes and the new source code (I remember struggling with that myself the first time I tried git). Current git versions will however apply the stash in case of conflicts and mark those conflicts. The only thing it does now in case of conflicts is not drop the original stash (i.e., "git stash pop" behaves like a "git stash apply") so that you can easily apply it again on a clean copy should you somehow mess up during conflict resolution.

Jonas