Re: working with split debug files and sectionless ELFs

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:07:53 +0200, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> that's why it was a hack.  i think it reasonable that if there is no debug
> info to first look for the file name itself, and then look for the file name with
> a .debug suffix.

The debug files without any suffix are IMO problematic, there was already at
least a second patch to deal with it and it has performance issues:
	[patch] Verify byte-by-byte if both files are the same on "remote:" [Re: [rfc] False separate debuginfo warning with "remote:" access]
	http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2011-10/msg00254.html

build-id should be the first one tried, it is already tried if .debug_link
exists so why to break it for the non-.debug_link case.  If build-id does not
exist I do not mind much how many ineffective fallbacks in which order get
implemented.

Regards,
Jan