Re: Building on Darwin

I am having the same problem on my MBP, running Snow Leopard. I am no
longer getting the part about not being able to attach, but the
messages 'warning: can't find section '.const' in OSO file ...' and
'warning: can't find section '__DATA.__common' in OSO file...' are
still there, and any backtrace has no symbol info, i.e. '#0
0x00007fff8646d196 in ?? ()'.

If one looks in machoread.c, the failure seems to be in
macho_add_oso_symfile(); the code is looping through
oso->num_sections, and for each section it gets a name and then tries
to load a struct. Here is the code:

sectname = (char *)oso->symbols[i]->section->name;
sect = bfd_get_section_by_name (abfd, sectname);

if (sect == NULL)
{
    warning (_("can't find section '%s' in OSO file %s"),
        sectname, oso->name);
    continue;
}

The section name is successfully read, but bfd_get_section_by_name()
returns NULL, apparently.

So this is as much as I know - can anyone please help me understand
the failure paths for this call (bfd_get_section_by_name)? Is there a
compilation flag being missed, or is it perhaps an incompatibility
with the gcc shipped wit XCode and the gdb I am building?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith