Re: xz-compressed release tarballs?

On Saturday 28 January 2012 22:53:13 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
> > being a free software developer doesn't mean being able to force
> > people to adhere to what works on their personal legacy systems
> > where the user refuses to upgrade the software.  that is
> > unreasonable.
>
> I cannot and didn't force anyone to do anything.  I made a request.
> Disagreeing with that request and acting against it is entirely
> appropriate and understood; calling it ridiculous or using other
> derogatory language is not.

sorry, but i guess that's my interpretation.  asking people to not use xz even
though you've shown no reason other than tar itself on deficient platforms
cannot directly read the compression is ridiculous.  it is absolutely trivial
to decompress it first if you are on such a system as i showed.

> There's nothing in MS-Windows systems that can be called "legacy" or
> "old".

seriously ?  there is *plenty* in MS-Windows that can be called both those
things.  even MS documents these in great detail in the MSDN.
-mike