Re: xz-compressed release tarballs?

On 1/28/12 3:09 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Saturday 28 January 2012 03:18:47 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I see nothing ridiculous in a request to cater to a situation of your
fellow developer of Free Software, and don't understand how can you
ridicule such a request.
sorry, but i really can't find anything worth replying to here.  being a free
software developer doesn't mean being able to force people to adhere to what
works on their personal legacy systems where the user refuses to upgrade the
software.  that is unreasonable.

i've got plenty of old systems, but i don't try and force everyone else to try
and support them at the detriment of future progress.
-mike

I have to take exception to this; there are several good reasons to make allowance for older and legacy systems.

One is that our volunteers are just that - working on the software on their own time, and without spare cash (or time) to upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware or software.

Another is that free software has frequently been able to displace proprietary software on older systems, as a way to extend useful life. This has been a major factor in the spread and acceptance of free software.

A third is that the requirement to run on a variety of systems is good for self-discipline. When our code has "all the world's a Vax", "all the world's an x86", or "all the world is Linux" assumptions wired into it, that reduces our ability to adapt when all the world changes to something else.

So while we can certainly debate whether this feature or that helps or hinders future progress, I don't think it's in our interests to disparage all the legacy support.

Stan