Re: Using UTF-8 as host charset

I think it probably isn't really safe to just set host-charset.
Instead you should arrange to run gdb in a UTF-8 locale.

This unfortunately isn't generally possible for a cross-platform IDE like Eclipse CDT.

I'm not sure exactly what might break though.

As long as GDB doesn't crash and still prints ASCII strings correctly, it won't concern us. I mean, we didn't support any non-ASCII characters at all until now within the CDT debugger. And I assume that ASCII strings will always be printed correctly by GDB, even if the host charset is set to UTF-8, since ASCII is just a subset of UTF-8.

What we're trying to find out is whether we should enable the debugger charset support by default within future releases of Eclipse CDT or not. If GDB is generally stable with using UTF-8 as host charset, we'd do so. Can you give a recommendation?

Thanks,
Mathias