Re: What about add new commands "maintenance agent-breakpoint id expression" and "maintenance agent-eval-breakpoint id expression"

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Stan Shebs <stanshebs@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 6/11/12 5:15 PM, Hui Zhu wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> The "maintenance agent" and "maintenance agent-eval" are for translate an
>> expression into remote agent bytecode.
>> Both of them got address info from frame. ?But when we use tracepoint or
>> breakpoint with agent code, this address is from tracepoint or breakpoint.
>>
>> What about add new commands "maintenance agent-breakpoint id expression"
>> and "maintenance agent-eval-breakpoint id expression"? ?Then we can get the
>> agent code for breakpoint or tracepoint directly.
>

> I could see something like that being useful - instead of breakpoint id I
> would suggest having it take a linespec, so you don't have to create a
> tracepoint just to see what the bytecodes would be. ?Also, an optional
> hyphen-argument like "-at <linespec>" would save defining new maintenance
> subcommands.
>
> One caveat though - not all collect actions translate into agent
> expressions, so the user could be misled into thinking that the target was
> running bytecode instead of doing direct collection. ?(This distinction
> confused me at least once a while back - the bug was in non-agent collect
> action.)
>
> Stan
> stan@codesourcery.com

I think the guy that use these commands must be the developer of GDB
or the target.
I have a strange suggestion that remove these two commands from the
gdb.texinfo.  :)

I will post the patch for add "-at" to these commands later.

Best,
Hui