Re: Merge C++ conversion into trunk (0/6 - Overview)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:23:37 +0200, Diego Novillo wrote:
> GDB folks, would it be hard to figure out that there is a single
> variant of the called function and trust the user that they are
> passing the right pointer value?

It is a needless violation of C++ resolving rules.  There are various easy way
how to get it working (in .gdbinit or cc1-gdb.gdb define GDB function, define
macro in GDB, use GDB python pretty printer instead (possibly even calling GCC
inferior function) etc.).

While I did not post such patch yet I would prefer to even forbid by default
expressions like
	(gdb) print *0x1234567
and enforce
	(gdb) print *(int *)0x1234567
instead as the former syntax confuses people (as commonly seen on IRC), the
same applies to calling functions without full debuginfo (they should require
an explicit cast in GDB) etc.

Regards,
Jan