Re: GDB crashing because of Python

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:
> Kevin> so based on `git bisect`, it looks like the errors were introduced by
> Kevin> this commit:
>
> Tom> Can you please try the appended patch?
>
> I spent some time today trying to make a robust test case for this.
> I can see the error clearly with valgrind, but I can't make it crash.
> Printing the Objfile reference counts "works" but it seems to not be
> very robust -- in the failing case the count appears to be 12 on my
> machine, but of course this is just a fluke, and it could well be
> anything.
>
> -lmcheck unfortunately doesn't help, because Python is typically built
> using its own allocator.  It would be nice if we could disable this for
> the test suite -- it is automatically disabled under valgrind (under
> some typical configurations), so it could be done cheaply -- but this
> isn't available.
>
> Anyway, I'm going to write a ChangeLog and send it to the patch list.
>
> Tom

Hello,

Thanks, the patch of the previous email seems to resolve all the bugs
I detailed!

I was thinking that it's strange that I'm the only one seeing this bug
from a file *I* committed ... but maybe I'm the only one actually
using the feature! Did you try to register a Python handler to
`gdb.events.new_objfile` to trigger the bug? (gdb/trunk doesn't not
crash anymore if I remove the connection from my init files)

Cordially,

Kevin