New ARI web page, generated using script inside CVS tree in gdb/contrib/ari directory

  Recently, an in-tree version
of the scripts used to generate the ARI web-page was
added to gdb CVS repository.

The original ARI page is at:
http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/ari/

while the new page is temporarily at:
http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/ari/test/

The main advantage of this in-tree version is that it is easier
to adapt to changes inside CVS tree.

If you look for instance in the first link,
you will see that there are 13 regressions
listed in the 'Critical' section.
  This list was easily reduced to 4 in the second link,
because lots of those regression are simply related
to changes in the sources, especially code moves from
gdb to gdb/common sub-directory.

  Out of the 4 remaining critical issues

Critical
Things previously eliminated but returned. This should always be empty.

BUG	Total	Description
1) strerror	10	Do not use strerror(), instead use safe_strerror()
2) xasprintf	2	Do not use xasprintf(), instead use xstrprintf
3) stat.h	1	Do not include stat.h or sys/stat.h, instead include
gdb_stat.h
4) wait.h	1	Do not include wait.h or sys/wait.h, instead include
gdb_wait.h

2) will be solved as soon as the [RFA] Fix New ARI warning Tue Nov  6
01:58:48 UTC 2012
gets approved.

3) and 4) are all related to the fact that
gdb_stat.h and gdb_wait.h headers are still in gdb directory,
which force the use of direct system include headers in sources in
gdb/common
sub-directory.
  Those can probably be solved easily by moving the two headers also
to gdb/common.

  But before sending a patch, I would like to know if this is the right
direction to go to...

1) is a little bit more tricky because safe_strerror is declared in utils.h
header,
but implemented in two files:
posix-hdep.c and mingw-hdep.c

  Should I extract the declaration into a
gdb/common/gdb_strerror.h
and extract the two functions
into gdb/common/posix-strerror.c and gdb/common/mingw-strerror.c?

  Finally, a few broader questions regarding ARI:

Should we add rules about
  gdb_XXX.h headers
stating that if gdb_XXX.h header exists and shadows an existing
system header, no gdb C source file should include XXX.h system header
directly.

  I would tend to find such a rule logical, but it
would probably force us to more most of these
headers into gdb/common subdirectory, and I don't really know if this
trend is really accepted by the global maintainers.

  Also, I would find as a logical consequence that also
gdbserver subdirectory should follow the ARI rules.
  This is done quite easily by removing the
  -name gdbserver -prune -o
line from gdb_find.sh script in gdb/contrib./ari
but is a rather important change that should be discussed fully.

Any comments most welcome,

Pierre Muller
as ARI maintainer.

Pierre Muller