This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Debugging agent library
- From: Yao Qi <yao at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Suchakra Sharma <suchakrapani dot sharma at polymtl dot ca>
- Cc: Simon Marchi <simon dot marchi at polymtl dot ca>, <gdb at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 09:01:23 +0800
- Subject: Re: Debugging agent library
- References: <1367868074 dot 5194 dot 19 dot camel at station15 dot dorsal dot polymtl dot ca> <5188AE42 dot 50308 at codesourcery dot com> <CAFXXi0mqnd7XQQXFX5mQXF0r8dRn+crsyz8g0uip=svZpm245Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <5189B577 dot 6070006 at codesourcery dot com> <1368042096 dot 5194 dot 41 dot camel at station15 dot dorsal dot polymtl dot ca>
On 05/09/2013 03:41 AM, Suchakra Sharma wrote:
Thanks for your detailed reply. We were able to rectify the issue. We
tried with a clean install of gdb and libdagent on another machine which
did not show any issue. The problem was probably because we tinkered
around the dagent code a bit before using it. All works well now.
Indeed, dynamic tracing with GDB is getting more awesome day by day
(this view is reinforced by some tests I ran in-house which really show
how powerful and fast it is) A you know LTTng/UST already has quite fast
static tracing features, so our main aim is to get dynamic tracing
infrastructure of GDB in LTTng/UST for fast dynamic user space tracing
in an elegant way. We are not 100% clear how it shall be achieved at
this moment but we are exploring all avenues for now. At first glance it
looked as if we could do it using this library coupled with GDB
(controlled through LTTng/UST acting as our tool). Your ideas are
welcome and we surely shall contribute once we get a good knack of how
to extend GDB's functionality for our use.
GDB/GDBserver is able to control UST static tracepoint through agent,
but UST is 0.11 and URCU is 0.5.3, which is a little bit old. In UST
0.12 release, the GDB support is removed unfortunately. Probably you
can have a look at testsuite/gdb.trace/strace.exp to see how
GDB/GDBserver interact with UST static tracepoints.