Re: Upgrading glibc and egcs at the same time

On 29 Jun 1999, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Did you check the Glibc2 HowTo and Frodo documentation?
>
> >From the FAQ:
>
> 4.4.	What other sources of documentation about glibc are available?
>
> {AJ} The FSF has a page about the GNU C library at
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/>.  The problem data base of open and

Yes, and as of this morning it still says that the latest available is a
test version of 2.0, when in fact 2.1.1 is released.

> solved bugs in GNU libc is available at
> <http://www-gnats.gnu.org:8080/cgi-bin/wwwgnats.pl>.  Eric Green has written
> a HowTo for converting from Linux libc5 to glibc2.  The HowTo is accessable
> via the FSF page and at <http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc>.

I found this one helpful.  My starting point was almost exactly as you
describe, but I took no pains to preserve the ability to compile against
libc5.

Notable is Eric's <a http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/index.html>
statement </a> that he no longer maintains his GNU libc pages.  They are
indeed out of date, but the conversion information is still useful.

It looks like everyone who had created Web pages on glibc2 has decided
that they are Somebody Else's Problem.  One of the most interesting cases
is Cygnus, who took the trouble to create a DNS entry for glibc.cygnus.com
and then pointed http://glibc.cygnus.com/ to the egcs project page --
there are no links to glibc anywhere on that site (that I can discover)
even though the code is there somewhere.

If anyone has wondered why libc6/glibc2 has not spread more rapidly, maybe
these clues will help.

A Brazil-nut is neatly packaged and tightly integrated.  To turn it into
food, you must crack and remove the shell.  I find that I feel the same
way about an increasing number of software products.  *sigh*