Re: "undefined symbol: _xstat" while using glibc 2.1.1

>>In article <377F7421.C9A4E139@softhome.net>, Matt <stormkeeper@softhome.net> writes:

> Hi there,
>     I've just upgraded to glibc v2.1.1 and all appears to work well
>     with the exception of X.  I started X only to have it crash
>     with the result:

>             "undefined symbol:    _xstat in libX11.so.6"

>     *Everything* (so far) except libX11 works.  How might I go
>     about correcting this?

I may be able to help, *may* :-).  My system was originally a.out,
1.0.9 kernel, etc, and I have manually upgraded it to ELF, glibc
2.1.1, etc.  Everything was fine up thru the glibc 2.0.6 upgrade, but
the 2.1 fell apart.  Many programs stopped working, especially X
programs, apparently due to __fxstat or similar symbol no longer
defined.  As I understand it, these are internal sysmbols and should
NOT have been referenced directly, but they were.  I upgraded X itself
to 3.3.3.1 glibc, and found a lib in /lib or /usr/lib (forget which)
called libbsd.a.  Finally made everything work by symlinking
libbsd-compat.a to libbsd.a (after saving the libbsd.a of course!).

So I am going to SUGGEST that you make sure you have the latest glibc
X, and check that libbsd file.  Be VERY SURE you don't do anything
which can't be undone, because I provide no guarantees of any kind,
other than something similar worked for me.  Good luck!

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933