Problem compiling libstdc++

I recently (in the last two month or so) upgraded my Linux system (2.2) to
glibc. I apologize for not knowing the exact version, but I'm not near the
machine right now. I am certain that it's 2.1.?.

My reason for wanting to recompile libstdg++ is because I upgraded to the
latest glibc Netscape (4.6.1 I believe), and it was complaining about not
having libg++2.8

Unfortunately, I am having several issues trying to get libstdc++ to compile
and be usable.

The compiler was complaining about invalid exception specifications in some
of the header files.
I grabbed a patch off of alpha.gnu.org, but could not get the patch to work.
I tried "patch < libstdc++-glibc-patchfile", but it complained that it could
not find what file to patch. This is my first time using the patch utility,
so I'm probably doing something wrong. After dorking around with patch for
30min or so, I just figured that I'd apply the patched by hand.

After doing so, libstdc++ compiled fine, but after installing the library,
Netscape complained about not being able to find a call name
__vt_9exception. I looked at the library, and found this call - it is
declared as external.

So, I am now stuck. Have I compiled libstdg++ incorrectly? Do I need to
compile libg++ with libstdg++? Is my LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var set
incorrectly? Any ideas on what to do?

--shawn