device open close flow-control

I have run into the following problem:

I have written to a device (stty) that is in flow control
i.e. the receiver does not accept data any more.

Now I want to 'close' the device on the sending side.

But the close function does not return until the receiver
has released his flow control. That is bad.

What can I do about this? I want anyhow to force the
connection closed.

Any ideas?

Roland