Re: Failed assertion in iconv/skeleton.c

>I installed that, and apparently nothing has changed.  RPM is
>still broken, perl still reports a problem with locales, but
>/lib/libc.so.6 reports 2.2.3.  Apparently, there is an upgrade
>problem with my system's locale information and utilities, and
>I'm not quite sure where it is or if it's even directly related to
>glibc.  Since it didn't start happening until I upgraded glibc,
>I assumed that's where the problem is.  I found one other
>reference on the web to the failed assertion I get from rpm,
>but that person solved his problem by saving locale files
>before upgrading, and restoring them afterwards.  I can't
>exactly do that since I never saved the old files to begin
>with (and can't install libc-5 to restore them).  Any more
>suggestions are appreciated.

I finally figured out the problem.  When I was using localedef,
it was complaining that it couldn't write to /usr/lib/locale.  This
is because /usr/lib/locale didn't exist on my system.  Apparently,
it should have been trying to write to /usr/share/locale.  When I
symlinked it, localedef worked just fine.  Once I had some
working locales in place, everything else started working as
well.  I don't know if this is a flaw in the glib install or something
else, but it's an awful lot of hassle for such a small thing!

Dave