scripting interfaces for gsl

I once tried to interface parts of the gsl 0.3 to the scheme-based scripting
/extension language 'guile'. The change from 0.3 to 0.4 broke everything,
and I'm now just wrapping the functions I just need through libguile, until
guile and gsl both come to a greater stability level.

Have there been also efforts for other scripting languages, such as tcl,
python, perl, pike etc. ?

I didn't try SWIG yet with gsl. Anyone experimented with it?
Another way to interface C libs from interpreters is over an ffi, and a
very good one has been provided by Anthony Green from Cygnus. Marius Vollmer
wrote a guile frontend for it, maybe other language frontends are available
too. FFIs seem to be very useful for occasional usage of library routines,
but require a shared lib, which doesn't exist yet portably in the case of GSL.
As far as error handling goes, my preferred way is to throw an exception
with the error number as argument for the exception handler, so that the
VHLL coder can decide how to deal with errors, and still avoid segfaults.
Is that a good way for wrapping gsl routines that return 0 on success, -1
on error?
--
Klaus Schilling