Re: Unable to generate static binaries

You are right that the some functions are missing from the library
libgsl.a when you build it.

According to the nm output, when you make a library on your system
which includes files with the same name in different directories you
get multiple copies of one .lo file, while I get each .lo file
separately. E.g. for the files block/init.lo, vector/init.lo,
matrix/init.lo you only get the contents of vector/init.lo, repeated
for each occurrence.

I'm cc'ing this to the list in case anyone is familiar with this
behavior of libtool/ar. If that is the correct behavior then we are
going to have a problem with the same filenames occurring in different
directories.

On my system,

bjg|debian> ar --version
GNU ar 2.9.1