Re: problems downloading gsl

Dear Ray,

> I tried to download the gsl-0.6 via ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gsl/
> but
> it returned with the error

> >The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.
> >
> >   Proxy server is unable to locate the server: sourceware.cygnus.com:.
> The server does not have a DNS entry. Check the server name in the
> Location
> >    (URL) and try again.

The sourceware ftp server is working fine: I just checked it.  It
sometimes makes you wait a bit, but it kindly points you to URLs with
lists of mirror sites.

Your problem looks different: it looks like you are using a proxy for
your ftp access, or maybe you are using a web browser to access ftp
URLs, and the web browser and/or its proxy is not well configured for
that.

I would try a straight ftp client (like ncftp).  Otherwise, let us
know exactly what ftp or web client you are using, and how its proxy
configuration is set up.