Re: histograms

   Hi Brian. Have you looked at Simone Piccardi's stuff about histograms?

Thanks, yes. I am thinking of using the uniformly-binned gsl_histogramfix
module from Simone's patch [1] as a replacement for gsl_histogram.

Advantages (as described in the README): less memory, faster, simpler,
occurs more in practice

With uniformly-binned histograms in the library it would not be
necessary to have separate code for variable-scaled histograms. The
user could get the same result by applying the equivalent
transformation to their data coordinates and storing it in a
uniformly-binned histogram.  I prefer this approach because it keeps
the library simple.

[1] http://www.firenze.linux.it/~piccardi/histfix.tar.gz