GSL on Darwin

I would like to try and install the GSL 0.7 library on Apple OS X (Darwin) public beta and 1.0 when it arrives.  When I run configure this is what I get:

darwin% ./configure
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one

I'm not really sure what to do here.  I've opened the config.guess file but I don't know how to set my host type.
I see that linux ppc and NeXTSTEP are supported, since I am running a variation of NeXT on a ppc g3 processor I think I should be able to make the gsl work on this system.  It seems I am missing so packages, like automake, do I need these to make gsl?  How can I specify my host type?
Can someone please help me out?  Give me an idea what to do, or if it can be done.

Thank You,

Justin Cripps