Re: gsl-0.9: bug in configure (autoconf)

Peter Breitenlohner writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just fetched and compiled gsl-0.9; in order to run
 > 'make install-strip' I had to apply the attached patch.
 > This is actually an autoconf-2.13 problem, that has been fixed
 > in autoconf-2.50.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

One thing to be careful of when using 'strip', mentioned in the
gsl/MACHINES file

  Attempts to run 'strip' on the static library libgsl.a may produce a
  broken library (it is known to happen with GNU binutils strip, and
  probably affects others too). The libgsl.a ar archive made by libtool
  contains files with the same filenames from different directories, and
  this causes the strip program to overwrite these archive entries.  If
  you need to produce a compact version of the library compile without
  -g instead of using strip.

I don't know whether this still happens in recent versions of
binutils.