Re: Problem building vector/reim_source.c

gsl-discuss@lists.thewrittenword.com writes:
 > On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 12:25:41PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
 > > gsl-discuss@lists.thewrittenword.com writes:
 > >  > I've opened a problem report with Sun and gave them a small test case
 > >  > to reproduce the bug. I'll forward your info below if they need
 > >  > convincing.
 > >
 > > Sounds good.  You probably saw it on comp.std.c but just for reference
 > > this was the simplest test case I could find:
 >
 > According to the Sun engineer:
 >   I don't think that's valid C code.
 >
 >   I don't think you can initialize a variable in C with the value of a
 >   function call like that.
 >
 > This is using your C code below. Can you point me at the section in
 > C89 that says the code below should work?

I've been looking at it some more and it may be a moot point now.

The Sun C compiler accepts the code in gsl_vector if the const is
moved outside the struct, e.g. typedef const struct... instead of
typedef struct { const ... }, which is suitable for this case.

I've checked this into CVS if you want to try it.