Re: [Gnuwin32-users] Re: Problem with Cygwin installation: FAQ?

The Gnuwin32 port at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ is not a Cygwin port,
but a native MS-Windows port (it only depends on msvcrt.dll, which is
supplied on all MS-Windows systems). When running 'make check', all went
well, and there were no errors (see check.log in gsl-1.0-src.zip). The
Gnuwin32 port comes with import libraries for Mingw (GCC for MS-Windows),
MSVC and Borland C.
I'm not sure what you have been trying to do. Do you use Cygwin to compile
Gsl? Usually libraries or programs that compile well under Linux, also
compile without any change under Cygwin (configure, make, make check, make
install), and in this case I'm not sure how your problem can be solved. I
could try a compilation under Cygwin, but this will have to wait until next
weekend.
Or did you compile a program under Cygwin (i.e. with the Cygwin GCC
compiler), while linking to the Gnuwin32 dll (by means of the Gnuwin32
import library gsl.dll.a)? In that case, some things will certainly go
wrong, e.g. because Cygwin dll's use an entry point that is different from
MS-Windows dll's, and because Cygwin dll's depend on cygwin1.dll and so you
end up with a program that depends on both cygwin1.dll (because you compiled
it under Cygwin) and msvcrt.dll (because gsl.dll depends on msvcrt.dll). And
since cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll export the same functions, the program will
crash. If you quikview an executable, you will see on which dll's it depends
directly; so if your executable depends on cygwin1.dll, this probably is the
cause of your problem. To solve this, make sure that  Mingw-GCC comes first
in your path, before cygwin\bin, and that the GCC compiler won't look after
libraries in cygwin\lib.
If you still have problems after this, then send me some sample programs,
and I will try whether they compile and execute well on my own system
(Windows 98).

Kees Zeelenberg