Interactive shell using GSL (ala Maple)

Hi all,

recently to keep myself amused whilst looking for a job I've started
writing a interactive shell which will use the GSL to solve problems.
I've the initial parser working (but not too well at present) and I am
starting to add some function calls.  The goal would be something like:

$ solve_quad(1,2,1);
x1 = 1
x2 = 1

i.e. the call solves x+2x+1 = 0.

I will keep working on this, but does anyone know of a similar project?
Any thoughts or comments would be welcome as well.

Thanks,

Scott