Re: multidimensional root-finding problem :-(

Peter S. Christopher wrote:

Hi there,

	I've had experience with the Multi-Min package. My best guess is
that some of the routines use ONLY fdf and some of them use f, df and fdf.

That's right. As said before by Ivo, the purpose of fdf is to save some calculation. For instance, when you deal with neural networks, you can save a factor 2 if you compute f and df together rather than f and then (in another call) df. BUT the basic contract between a function provider and a minimizer is that the three functions work. That's why I suggest to start programming f and df, and provide a dummy version of fdf that calls both f and df. Then, if you need faster calculation, you can provide an efficient version of fdf. If I recall correctly (I wrote the first version of multimin), f is called in the line search (i.e., the one dimensional part of multimin), whereas fdf is used for the high level part. I think I did not use df alone, but the code as evolved.

This is only valid for multimin, but my understanding of multi-root is that it basically works in the same way. So Slaven I suggest you separate f and df, and call those functions for fdf...

Fabrice