From: Achim Gädke [mailto:Achim.Gaedke@physik.tu-darmstadt.de]
Sent: 15 July 2003 13:22
To: jimmy mcguire; gsl-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: erroneous claim at
sources.redhat.com/gsl/ref/gsl-ref_4.html# SEC3 2

Yes, this is quite true, that I do not really know, what's the optimal way.

1) In order to fix a documentation bug, we should correct the manual.

2) Here we multiply numbers (plain floating point numbers), so the
effort to do the optimum should be not to large: approx. O(2*log_2(n))
is not bad in contrast to O(n).

3) If it is cheap to find a better way or if we deal with matrices (e.g.
in characteristic polynoms), we may want to find out a better way to
split this multiplication. Finding prime factors is quite expensive. For
21 I avoid one multiplication, but what about the costs?

4) I like this problem, because it's simple to explain and becomes
difficult when solving it. :-)

Achim