Practical limits on parallel ODE

Hi listers,

	This Question is non-gsl specific. Suppose I have a set of
parallel diff. equations like

d C_i
-----  = g(t, {C_x}) for i = 1, ..., N
 d t

where g is a fairly simple function of the variables t and {C_x}. I'm
looking to understand:

a) For simple g, about how large N can be before the technique becomes
unstable.

b) When does N become so large that the calculation becomes impractical.

I understand that one can't answer either question without specific
details. So what I'm looking for are details of projects that have solved big
sets of coupled diff. equations (papers maybe?). Thanks a lot for any
help.

Pete Christopher