Re: GNU

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:42:02PM -0500, Frederick Joseph Ross was heard to remark:
> The GSL is under the GNU GPL.  Thus the answer is no.  You must publish
> the code.  Some of us in academic environments use this as a form of self
> defense against our institutions.

This answer is not quite correct.

If someone uses GPL'ed code in in-house applications, they do not have
to publish the source to that application, *if* they do not distribute
binaries of that application outside of thier organization.

Companies only need to disclose the source code if they are distributing
binaries to outsiders (either for free or for profit).

This allows e.g. stock-brokers to use GSL internally for stock-market
analysis, without disclosing thier algorithms to other, outside
stock-brokers.  Ditto biology/genetics labs, etc.

--linas