Re: r250 --> r1270?

nOn Sat, 11 Feb 2006, H. G. Katzgraber wrote:

Hello,

I have noticed that in the random number generator selection you list r250. Would it be possible to add r1279? It is almost as fast as r250, yet r250 is known to give wrong results.

It is very easy to wrap any generator you know of in the gsl template for rng's and add it to the list of generators that are already there for your OWN purposes. However, "most" of the generators there are there for historical purposes, for testing purposes, or to enable older code to be ported, not because using them (especially in new code) is supposed to be a "good" idea. I believe that the current default is one of the ranlux generators; the older one a mersenne twister, both are excellent -- quite fast and very high quality (according to e.g. diehard and sts tests).

That said, I think that it is good to add still more to the GSL >>for<<
testing purposes.  I personally would like to see the GSL have "all" the
significant (named, published, used) generators built in and selectable
at runtime.

I've been working on a GSL-integrated random number tester written in C
that incorporates many of the diehard tests, some of the sts tests, and
a few tests I've written myself.  Eventually I hope to have all of
diehard, sts, and knuth's tests that aren't already in one or the other
(plus a few of my own).  In it I added both the /dev/random and
/dev/urandom tests to diehard as described above, as well as an "empty"
random number generator that is there to aid in timing rngs.  If you
look at the code, you can see pretty easily how to do the wrapping.  I'd
like to see all of these added as well -- there are actually good
reasons to use the entropy-based generators in e.g. cryptographic
applications to generate a reliable seed for the diehard rngs.

This is a work in progress, but you can get what should be functional
code from the snapshot here:

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/dieharder.php

rgb

Best regards, Helmut Katzgraber. _____________________________________________________________ Helmut G. Katzgraber http://katzgraber.org Theoretische Physik, ETH Hoenggerberg Tel (+41) 44 633 3580 CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland Fax (+41) 44 633 1115

This email is brought to you by the letters D and K, and the number 6.

-- Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/ Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305 Durham, N.C. 27708-0305 Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu