Re: test release gsl-1.8.90.tar.gz

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:51:23PM +0000, Brian Gough wrote:
> I have made a test release for gsl-1.9.
>
> I have only tested it on GNU/Linux -- please report any problems you
> find in compiling it, running make check or against existing
> applications (it should be backwards compatible).

I've been testing the bfgs2 minimizer, and it works well until/if it
nears a point in which the interpolator stops progressing - I've
noticed there is a check against this in the linear_minimize code near
line 209:

      if ((a-alpha)*fpa <= GSL_DBL_EPSILON) {
        /* roundoff prevents progress */
      };

perhaps there should be a break statement to prevent futile
iterations?  Or use this as a stopping criteria test?

Regards,
Tim